Degree Candidate FAQ
1. What is the minimum GPA required to graduate?
** Please note, your academic department may require a higher GPA for graduate degrees.**
- The minimum GPA required for graduating with an undergraduate degree is 2.0
- The minimum GPA required for graduating with a Master or Master of Science degree is 2.7
- The minimum GPA required for graduating with a PhD degree is 3.0.
2. Who is eligible for honors and how are they calculated?
Honors apply only to undergraduates who have completed at least 60 semester hours in residence at Georgia Tech. In order to receive degree honors, graduates must have the following GPA:
- 3.15 for HONOR
- 3.35 for HIGH HONOR
- 3.55 for HIGHEST HONOR
Grades earned for the graduating term will affect honors. GPA's are not rounded up (Example: A GPA of 3.149 is not rounded to 3.15).
The first notice of possible honors will appear approximately one week after "Drop Day" of your graduating term. Honors will be recalculated following the processing of final grades. This recalculation will take into consideration any grade changes submitted to the Registrar's Office during your graduating term. Your correct honors will be noted on your diploma and on your transcript.
Please note that the distribution of honor cords for commencement and the notation of tentative honors in the commencement program are based on whether the student meets the minimum number of hours (60) and the required minimum GPA for the three levels of honor at the time they enter their graduating term. In other words, honors at commencement are based on the hours accumulated and the GPA that exists at the beginning of the graduating term. Your final honors will be determined after final grades are audited.
3. What are the responsibilities of the Degree Certification Staff in the Registrar's office?
The Degree Certification Staff in the Office of the Registrar is responsible for evaluating degree candidates and certifying that all graduation requirements have been met prior to the awarding of degrees.
Commencement & Diploma
1. When is Summer Commencement?
2. How do I order a duplicate diploma?
Should you ever need a replacement copy of your diploma complete the following request form. There is a $100 replacement fee, plus mailing.
3. When will my diploma arrive?
Diplomas are printed by an outside company and it normally takes 6-8 weeks after Commencement to be printed and mailed.
4. Which degree candidates will be allowed to participate in the commencement exercise?
Students who are active degree candidates at the time of commencement are eligible to participate in the ceremony.
5. Where do I get information about caps, gowns, invitations, photographs and commencement day activities?
Toward the middle of your graduating term, you will receive a packet from the Special Events Office located in the Wardlaw Building. This packet will provide detailed information about the commencement ceremony. Visit the Special Events - GT Commencement website www.gatech.edu/commencement to obtain more information.
We highly encourage you to visit the bookstore to purchase graduation regalia approximately the fourth week of the term that you are graduating. Cap & gown information is also available at the GT Commencement website. Please be sure to check your graduation regalia before you leave the bookstore to make sure you have the correct regalia and that you have all pieces, including tassel.
To purchase graduation announcements visit the Balfour website at www.balfour.com.
6. When and where can I pick-up my honor cord?
Georgia Tech will provide honor cords for undergraduate students based on their previous semesterís cumulative GPA. Students are expected to pick up their honor cords at one of the following locations:
- Monday, December 8 - Friday, December 12 - Office of the Registrar, Tech Tower, Suite 104
- Friday, December 12 - President's Graduation Celebration, Student Center Ballroom (3-5pm)
- Saturday, December 13 Ė Graduate Line-up Room, McCamish Pavilion
Graduates are permitted to wear additional items if given by officially sanctioned Georgia Tech honor societies or student organizations. You are responsible for obtaining from the student organization any honors accessories to which you are entitled.
Please note that the distribution of honor cords for commencement and the notation of tentative honors in the commencement program are based on whether the student meets the minimum number of hours (60) and the required minimum GPA for the three levels of honor at the time they enter their graduating term. In other words, honors at commencement are based on the hours accumulated and the GPA that exists at the beginning of the graduating term.
GPA Requirement with a minimum of 60 institutional credits earned:
- 3.15 for HONOR (double white cords)
- 3.35 for HIGH HONOR (double gold cords)
- 3.55 for HIGHEST HONOR (double white and gold braided cords)
If you have any questions, please contact the Registrarís Office at email@example.com.
7. Where can I find the spring commencement participation policy and petition form for Summer 2015 Candidates?
1. Do I have to have my concentration selected before submitting an OAG?
Yes, you should submit your concentration as soon as you know which concentration you are pursuing, and definitely prior to applying for graduation. Always speak with your advisor prior to selection.
2. How do I select my concentration?
Students must select their concentration within OSCAR. More information can be found on the DegreeWorks main website: www.degreeworks.gatech.edu/images/training/concentration_mgt.pdf
Minors & Degree Designators
1. I'm also pursuing a minor. Do I have to officially declare my minor?
Yes, in order to submit your OAG including your minor, you will need to officially declare your minor. Forms can be found here: www.registrar.gatech.edu/students/formlanding/changeminor.php
2. How will my minor be evaluated?
All undergraduate students pursuing a minor will need to submit a minor program of study form to the Office of the Registrar. Forms can be located here: www.catalog.gatech.edu/academics/minors.php
1. I have more than one program I'm applying for. Do I have to submit more than one OAG?
Yes, a separate OAG is needed for each program you are applying to graduate in.
2. My curriculum is incorrect on the OAG screen. What do I do?
Do NOT proceed if your curriculum is incorrect. Instead, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.